The Bell County Fiscal Court approved a resolution to allow the sheriff’s department to apply for a grant through the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security. The resolution will give Bell County Judge-Executive Albey Brock permission to sign documents deemed necessary by KOHS to facilitate and administer the project. He will also act as the authorized correspondent for the project.
“It’s rather extensive, but I appreciate your willingness, sheriff, to go after these grants,” said Brock as he was speaking to Bell County Sheriff Mitch Williams. “We will certainly make all the staff available to you when you’re doing something. It’s a whole lot better to have a grant to buy equipment with than it is for us to have to pay out of our pocket.”
Brock said the sheriff’s department approached the fiscal court soon after Williams took office in regards to grant opportunities. He said they were in search of grants when they came across the KOHS grant. The department has been out collecting data to receive the grant.
The fiscal court also appointed Jonathan Evans to the Bell County Board of Assessment for a three-year term. He will replace David Cook.
Brock explained the board members for this particular board could not be reappointed. This results in members being replaced every so often.
“The PVA was very comfortable with having Jonathan on her board of assessments,” said Brock.
Other business taken care of during the meeting included:
• Approve minutes from previous meeting;
• Pay bills and make necessary transfer;
• Accept sheriff’s claim sheet for fee account for previous month;
• Accept treasurer’s financial statement for previous month;
• Appoint Justin Mays to the Bell County 109 Board to fill the expired term of Calvin Capps;
• Approve a resolution adopting and approving the executing of a County Road Aid Coop Program contract between the fiscal court and the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Transportation Cabinet, Department of Rural and Municipal Aid, for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015, as provided in the Kentucky Revised Statutes and accepting all roads and streets referred to therein as being part of the County Road System.
Reach Anthony Cloud at 606-302-9090 or on Twitter @AnthonyCloudMDN