Bell County Judge-Executive Albey Brock announced during the fiscal court meeting Tuesday that the state has approved approximately $1.5 million to help widen a portion of Don Green Road.
The portion that is widened will be known as Page Spur Road and will be extended to connect to KY 1534. The fiscal court approved a resolution between the court and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet regarding the new road and also gave Brock authority to sign all related documents.
“Those folks who live in the Page community are going to be excited to hear this,” said Brock.
Brock said the lower road floods regularly and is narrow and dangerous to drive. He claimed the state has a hard time maintaining the road.
“It’s been a hazard for years and years,” said Brock.
According to Brock, years ago the state came in and looked at the road and agreed that it was dangerous and needed to be moved. The plan at the time was to turn Don Green Road into a state road, widen it and turn it into KY 1534.
The project stalled. The money that was intended for the project in the past was approved and then taken because the project never got off the ground.
Recently, the county approached Frankfort and held a meeting. The county agreed to change the name of the widened portion of Don Green Road to Page Spur Road. The county also agreed to administer the project contract locally.
Page Spur Road will be a county road.
State Rep. Rick Nelson and Sen. Brandon Smith lobbied for the state to fund the balance of the project. Brock said Nelson has been a champion of the project for many years.
Other business taken care of at the meeting included:
* Approve minutes from previous meeting;
* Pay bills and make necessary transfer;
* Accept treasurer’s financial statement for last month;
* Accept sheriff’s claim sheet for fee account for previous month;
* Accept Dewey Thompson Road Extension into the Bell County Road System in District 1;
* Accept Smith Cemetery Road Extension in the Bell County Road System in District 3;
* Accept checks in the amount of $36,539.39;
* Accept checks from Becky Blevins, clerk.
Reach Anthony Cloud at 606-248-1010, ext. 208, firstname.lastname@example.org