Notable tree recognized at LMU
by Steve Roark
A sign dedication ceremony was held at Lincoln Memorial University to recognize a historic tree growing next to Duke Hall.
The tree is a large elm planted in 1940 by local chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) to celebrate their 50th anniversary as an organization, referred to as their Golden Jubilee.
The tree is a second generation cutting from a famous tree that once stood in Cambridge, Mass., under which George Washington took command of the Continental Army in 1775.
A small brass sign was placed with the elm when it was planted and is still present.
The new sign describes the history of the tree. It details the DAR’s role in tree planting projects across the nation, as well as their support of higher education.
Local chapters provided funding for several construction projects in the early days of LMU, including DAR Hall in 1921 and the Matthies-DAR Creamery in 1938.
Those present at the dedication included local DAR representatives, LMU administrators, Harrogate Garden Club members and the Harrogate Tree Board.
The sign was designed and purchased by the city of Harrogate through its tree board.
LMU has several notable trees throughout the campus that are identified with interpretive signs. These include two state (big tree) champions, a row of ginkgoes on the Tennessee Historic Tree Register and the Lincoln Trees interpretive walk at the museum.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices