The 2015 Quilt Block Contest of the annual Cumberland Mountain Fall Festival has been announced. Contest sponsors are Cosby’s of Harrogate and Discount Fabrics of Tazewell, the Cumberland Mountain Fall Festival and the Crater Quilters.
The contest will have two categories this year: Hand-pieced blocks and machine-pieced blocks.
Prizes will be awarded in both categories: First place, $50; second place, $30; and third place, $20. Each first place winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to a local fabric store.
• Use 100 percent cotton or cotton/polyester blend fabric;
• The 12 ½” x 12 ½” block must be in fall colors (solids or prints);
• The block must be a pieced pattern, and cannot contain cross-stitch, counted cross-stitch or embroidery;
• Any trim should be washable; and
• You may enter one block in each category.
All blocks will become the property of the Cumberland Mountain Fall Festival, and will be displayed at the festival.
Quilt block will be judged based on the following criteria:
• Accurate block size, 12 ½” x 12 ½” which includes a ¼” seam allowance;
• Appropriate and pleasing fall colors; and
• Quality and accuracy of piecing.
Entries must meet measurements in criteria No. 1 in order to be judged. Entries must be brought to or mailed no later than Sept. 18 to: Middlesboro-Bell County Public Library, 126 South 20th, Middlesboro, Ky.
For additional information or clarification, contact Sally Smith at 606-269-2655.